//CSS CODES
//Main
My grandfather passed away today. I miss him. Now I recall all the times when I was in kindergarten school, he fetched me back from school in his khaki coloured car. I'd cry when he came late. The teachers would pacify me with Cadbury chocs. I always succumbed to them. I became a spoilt and selfish brat literally.
In primary 3, my grandfather bought a new water bottle for me. In my fit of anger over the not so attractive design, I threw it to the floor and stomped off. An old man living in a makeshift shack downstairs our nearby block took it away. I regret what I did tremendously. Imagine the hurt and rejection he felt back then. I was such a horrendous bitch back then.
When Ah Kong moved to Sengkang, I rarely visited him. Then one day, Aunt Lydia sent out a mail for Ah Kong to move out to one of the sibling's houses. We brought him to our house. Here, he was well cared for and we fed him to the best we could, despite the fact that he grew senile with the passing of age. He turned on all the lights when it was still early afternoon, and tried to pee outside the corridor.
We took him out for dinner in Dec to celebrate his birthday. I gave Ah Kong part of my bonus and another birthday red packet. I think he treasured it alot because he took out all the cash and displayed the empty red packets neatly lined up on the table. 7 weeks after my return from China, Ah Kong passed away. He looked emaciated and shrivelled as he lay on the bed in TTSH.
I couldn't cry. I didn't. My aunts cried loads. We stayed in the hospital till about 1am.
My Ah Kong was a brave man. He also cared alot for us. He was brave because he lived to tell his stories of the war to his grandchildren. He had a scar left from a vicious stab in the back from the war. I only hope my Ah Kong is in a better place now. Ah Ma must be so heartbroken, but no one is telling her anything. I don't think she can take another blow. This is not going to be a happy new year for me afterall.
enlightened apvunsoul- 6:44 PM |